Britain's Prince Edward helps launch Films Without Borders in New York
(CBS News ) Britain's Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, is on a five-day trip to the United States where he will make appearances in New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Birmingham, Ala.
The youngest child of Queen Elizabeth II, the prince arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday and attended the Films Without Borders launch that night at the St. Regis Hotel in New York. The 48-year-old prince was involved in theater productions as a youth and had his own TV production company for several years.
He is expected to travel Thursday to Philadelphia, where he will plant a tree at Girard College to honor the Diamond Jubilee of his mother, now in her 60th year on the throne. Edward's great-great-grandfather planted two trees at the school 152 years ago.
He also will meet with students in a youth development program started by his father, the Duke of Edinburgh.
The prince is spending Friday in Chicago and Saturday in Birmingham before returning to London on Sunday.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss