Francis Lawrence to direct "The Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire"
(CBS News) Lionsgate has reportedly found a new director to helm the second installment in "The Hunger Games" franchise.
According to Deadline, the movie studio has tapped Francis Lawrence to direct "Catching Fire," based on the second book in Suzanne Collins' wildly popular series.
Lawrence replaces Gary Ross, who directed the first film but decided not to return for "Catching Fire," citing the tight production schedule.
Deadline reports that Lionsgate was also considering "Moneyball" director Bennett Miller, but Lawrence became the frontrunner because his schedule fit the studio's timetable for a fall 2013 release.
Lawrence's directing credits include "Water for Elephants," "I am Legend" and music videos for Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Green Day.
"Catching Fire" is scheduled to open in theaters on Nov. 22, 2013.
"The Hunger Games" cast takes NYC
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Cannes Film Festival: Lesbian romance takes top prize
- Angelina Jolie's aunt dies of breast cancer days after op-ed
- Bynes' allegations of sexual assault under investigation
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video