Japanese emperor hosts garden party for 2,000
(CBS News) Japanese Emperor Akihito hosted his annual garden party for 2,000 people Thursday, just days after resuming his official schedule following heart bypass surgery.
With Empress Michiko at his side, the 78-year-old ruler strolled through the the Akasaka Imperial Garden in Tokyo, stopping to chat with guests, according to Kyodo News.
Guests included the former head of the Japan Sumo Association, the leaders overseeing recovery work following the massive earthquake and tsunami last year and astronaut Satoshi Furukawa, who returned in November from a six-month stay on the International Space Station.
The emperor has been in ill health for several months. He was hospitalized in late 2011 for pneumonia and in February underwent open heart surgery. He returned to the hospital twice during his recovery to have his lungs drained. Akihito resumed full duties nine days ago.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Bynes' allegations of sexual assault under investigation
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video