"Game of Thrones" renewed for third season
(CBS News) HBO has given the green light for more "Game of Thrones."
The network announced Tuesday that it has renewed the fantasy drama for a third season.
"Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season - and then surpassed them," said HBO boss Michael Lombardo, according to TVLine. "We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we've received for the series, and can't wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season."
The drama, based on George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series, kicked off its second season with strong ratings. The premiere drew 3.9 million viewers, while the second episode brought in 3.8 million.
Tell us: Are you watching "Game of Thrones"?
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral