Octavia Spencer gets hometown honor
She rode up to the Statehouse in a pink limousine for the Wednesday ceremony. As she stepped out, she was serenaded by the band from her alma mater, Jefferson Davis High School.Pictures: Octavia Spencer
A Montgomery native, Spencer told the crowd that she would do whatever she could to see that more movies are made in Alabama. She also cautioned young people in the audience to think twice before heading to Hollywood to become a movie star.
Spencer was then honored by a joint session of the Legislature.
Spencer won this year's best supporting actress Oscar for her performance as a maid in "The Help." She'll be back in theaters soon, appearing in the film, "Smash," with Megan Mullally and Aaron Paul. The movie premiered earlier this year at the Sundance Film Festival.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Denmark's de Forest wins Eurovision song contest