"The Hunger Games" breaks pre-sale records
(CBS News) "The Hunger Games" is already breaking records, and it hasn't even opened in theaters yet.
Fandango announced Tuesday that the film, based on Suzanne Collins' wildly popular novel, has sold more advance tickets than any other non-sequel ever.
The movie tickets website said more than 2,000 showtimes for "The Hunger Games" have already sold out, according to Entertainment Weekly. The film also accounts for more than 92 percent of Fandango's daily sales.
"The Hunger Games," directed by Gary Ross and starring Jennifer Lawrence as heroine Katniss Everdeen, will be released on Friday.
The film is expected to open big at the box office. The Hollywood Reporter notes that tracking services are forecasting an $82-$115 million debut, but box office observers and rival studios believe the film will bring in $130-$140 million during its opening weekend.
That could give "The Hunger Games" an even bigger opening than the most recent "Twilight" film, "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1," which brought in $138.1 million during its first weekend back in November.
Tell us: Are you planning to see "The Hunger Games"?
"The Hunger Games" premiere
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 126 Comments
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- At last: "Arrested" is reborn Sunday on Netflix
- Brad Pitt: "I've haven't known life to be any happier"
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy