Russell Brand turns himself in to New Orleans police
(CBS News) Russell Brand has turned himself in to New Orleans police and is currently in police custody, after a warrant had been issued to the British comedian for grabbing a photographer's iPhone and tossing it through a window, reports TMZ.
The New Orleans Police Department issued a misdemeanor warrant for criminal damage, after the paparazzi photographer filed a police report over the incident, which happened on Monday, according to the site.
Brand took to Twitter to defend himself Wednesday, tweeting in his comedic tone, "Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iPhone irreverently, what I did was a tribute to his memory."
Brand and pop star Katy Perry finalized their high-profile divorce earlier this year after only a little over a year of marriage. He was deported from Japan last year over prior legal problems there and was unable to visit Perry on her concert tour.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Bynes' allegations of sexual assault under investigation
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Colin Farrell talks "Epic" new role Play Video
- Stone Temple Pilots sue its former singer