"Seinfeld" actor shoots self in apparent suicide attempt
Montgomery police Chief Don Simpson says the 61-year-old actor called 911 on Monday morning after shooting himself in the temple at his suburban Cincinnati apartment.
He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was reportedly in critical condition. TMZ posted audio from the 911 call.
Officials said Thursday that von Bargen told the 911 dispatcher he was supposed to go to a hospital that day to have some toes amputated because of diabetes complications and had already had one leg amputated. He said he was feeling depressed before he shot himself.
Von Bargen appeared in four episodes of "Seinfeld" and played Commandant Edwin Spangler on "Malcolm in the Middle." He also had one-off roles on "Party of Five," "The Practice" and "The West Wing."
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion