Mariska Hargitay, Hilary Swank revel in Mardi Gras
The "Law & Order" star was among dozens of celebrities taking part in the annual Mardi Gras revelry. Rocker Bret Michaels, comedian Will Ferrell, Grammy-winning singer Cyndi Lauper and Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank were among those throwing beads and doubloons to fans from parade floats.
Michaels, the bandana-wearing Poison frontman, and Lauper were the celebrity riders in Orpheus, the parade club founded in 1993 by New Orleans native actor and crooner Harry Connick, Jr. Ferrell was this year's king of Bacchus in a Sunday parade, and the Endymion parade rolled out Saturday night with the pop-rock group Maroon 5 as its celebrity riders.
It's 24-hour revelry forthe city. Just as the Orpheus ball wound down early Tuesday, revelers were gearing up for the Fat Tuesday parades rolling shortly after daybreak. Some revelers would party through the night.
Lent follows Fat Tuesday. It is the period of fasting and repentance before Easter Sunday.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"