Mariska Hargitay, Hilary Swank revel in Mardi Gras
The "Law & Order" star was among dozens of celebrities taking part in the annual Mardi Gras revelry. Rocker Bret Michaels, comedian Will Ferrell, Grammy-winning singer Cyndi Lauper and Oscar-winning actress Hilary Swank were among those throwing beads and doubloons to fans from parade floats.
Michaels, the bandana-wearing Poison frontman, and Lauper were the celebrity riders in Orpheus, the parade club founded in 1993 by New Orleans native actor and crooner Harry Connick, Jr. Ferrell was this year's king of Bacchus in a Sunday parade, and the Endymion parade rolled out Saturday night with the pop-rock group Maroon 5 as its celebrity riders.
It's 24-hour revelry forthe city. Just as the Orpheus ball wound down early Tuesday, revelers were gearing up for the Fat Tuesday parades rolling shortly after daybreak. Some revelers would party through the night.
Lent follows Fat Tuesday. It is the period of fasting and repentance before Easter Sunday.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 120 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video