Taylor Swift not starring in "Les Miserables" film
(CBS) Taylor Swift will not be playing Eponine in the big-screen version of the musical "Les Miserables." Instead, British actress and singer Samantha Barks will make her movie debut in the role.
Universal has confirmed that Banks will play Eponine, a role that she played on London's West End from 2010-2011, reports Entertainment Weekly.
While she is still relatively unknown in the U.S., British TV viewers may know Barks from the U.K. singing competition "I'd Do Anything," where she placed third.
Banks has also played Nancy in the West End's "Oliver!" and it was during the show's curtain call that the theater producer announced that Barks had been casted as Eponine, according to EW.
"Most incredible moment of my life!!!!" Barks tweeted Tuesday.
The film is set to star Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Sasha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter.
The film is to be directed by Academy Award winning director Tom Hooper.
Check out a video below of Barks singing "On My Own" during the 25th anniversary performance of Les Mis in London.
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner