Sinead O'Connor's 16-day marriage not as rare as you think
Sinead O'Connor's 16-day marriage to therapist Barry Herridge has tongues wagging, coming as it does just weeks after Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries ended their 72-day union that began with a televised "fairytale" wedding.
But short-lived marriages are not uncommon in Hollywood. Does anyone remember Britney Spears' 55-hour marriage to Jason Alexander?
Nor is it a modern pattern. The late actor Dennis Hopper and The Mamas & the Papas songstress Michelle Phillips were married on Oct. 31 and divorced a week later on Nov. 8. The year was 1970.
In that same decade, Cher and musician Gregg Allman stayed married just long enough to produce a son, Elijah Blue.
There does seem to be some patterns emerging, however. A lot of these short-lived marriages began in the wedding chapels of Las Vegas.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 137 Comments
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis