Warhol painting sells for $662K as Elizabeth Taylor auction continues
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - Whoa! The $137 million that the Elizabeth Taylor collection brought in earlier this week was just for the jewelry portion of the auction.
The sale is continuing with paintings, scripts, clothing and memorabilia going on the auction block all week.
An Andy Warhol painting of Taylor sold for more than $662,000 at the auction in New York on Wednesday. The painting was part of Christie's auction house sale of items from the collection of the late actress, who starred in "National Velvet" and "Cleopatra."
A wedding dress worn at her second marriage to Richard Burton sold for more than $62,000.
Christies, which has been tweeting about the sale, reported the Haute Couture evening items brought in $2.6 million. This included $362,500 for a 1968 Dior evening gown that saw some spirited bidding according to Christies, and $32,500 for Taylor's Snow Leopard gown.
Other sales of Taylor's art, clothing and memorabilia will be held through the week. An online-only sale of some items runs until Saturday.
The jewelry portion of the auction fetched more than $137 million. Highlights were $11.8 million for a pearl necklace and more than $8.8 million for a diamond ring given to her by Burton. Prices include the buyer's premium.
The bulk of Taylor's art collection will be sold in London next year.
Taylor died in Los Angeles in March at age 79.
Elizabeth Taylor collection sold
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 127 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"