Former "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch released from jail
(CBS/AP) Former "Survivor" contestant and winner Richard Hatch has been released from a Rhode Island prison after serving a nine-month sentence for failing to pay back taxes.
A state prison official says the first-season winner of the CBS reality show was released Monday. Hatch served six weeks at a minimum security facitily as a transition after spending most of his sentence in federal prison.
Hatch of Newport, R.I. had spent more than three years in prison for not paying taxes on his $1 million "Survivor" winnings. He was released in 2009 and ordered to refile his 2000 and 2001 taxes and pay what he owed.
The 50-year-old went back to prison in March for violating the terms of his supervised release by failing to settle his tax bill.
Popular in Entertainment
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice"
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"
- Streisand slams treatment of women in Israel
- Kris Jenner: Kim Kardashian is "thrilled" about baby
- Justin Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go