Happy 95th birthday, Kirk Douglas!
The actor/director/producer/author also remains an active blogger, posting updates on MySpace every now and then.Pictures: Kirk Douglas
Douglas was born in 1916 to Russian-Jewish parents in Amsterdam, N.Y. He graduated with a degree in English from Saint Lawrence University, where he was also a prominent member of the wrestling team.
His interest in acting drew him to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. He then took a detour, serving in the Navy from 1941-1944, before venturing off to Hollywood. Douglas landed his first film role in 1946's "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" with Barbara Stanwyck and Van Heflin.
Many movies followed, including "Spartacus," "Out of the Past," "Lust for Life," "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "The Villain," and "The Man From Snowy River."
Douglas has been nominated for three Academy Awards, but has never won. He was given an Honorary Oscar in 1995.
He's married to Anne Buydens. They have two children together. Douglas also has two children from his first marriage to Diana Douglas, including his son, actor Michael Douglas.
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers