Billy Crystal tweets: I'm "doing the Oscars"
He tweeted the news, "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed the news Thursday afternoon.
This will mark Crystal's ninth time hosting the awards ceremony.
It was unclear at first who would host the next Academy Awards telecast, after Eddie Murphy stepped down. Murphy's move came after Brett Ratner resigned as producer Tuesday amid fallout over an anti-gay slur.
Many names were being tossed around by the media, including Crystal's, Hugh Jackman, Steve Martin and Jon Stewart; there's was also talk about bringing in a first-time host such as Tina Fey, Neil Patrick Harris, Ricky Gervais, Justin Timberlake or Ben Stiller.
And non-human hosts were considered by some: There were Twitter and Facebook pages pushing Kermit the Frog and his Muppets pals as Oscar hosts.
After Ratner's resignation, Academy organizers tapped Brian Grazer, producer of "A Beautiful Mind," to fill the producer slot.a
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 93 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"