Billy Bob Thornton's daughter sentenced to 20 years in prison
(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - Amanda Brumfield, the estranged daughter of actor Billy Bob Thornton, has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the October 2008 death of her best friend's 1-year-old daughter during an overnight stay at her home.
Brumfield was sentenced Thursday, four months after she was ;convicted of aggravated manslaughter of a child. She was acquitted of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse charges.
The 32-year-old claimed that Olivia Madison Garcia hit her head after falling while trying to climb out of a playpen.
Prosecutors said it was "impossible" that a fall from that height would cause a three-and-a-half inch fracture on the girl's skull.
Brumfield is the oldest of five children of the 55-year-old actor, who has been married five times. Her mother is Melissa Lee Gatlin, who was married to Thornton from 1978 to 1980.
Popular in Entertainment
- "Seinfeld": Where are they now? 15 Photos
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Weddings around the world 16 Photos
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Obama to host concert honoring Carole King
- "American Idol" winner announced
- "The Big Bang Theory": Expect a cliffhanger in finale