Gay Archie Comics character getting married
(CBS) Last year, Archie Comics made news when it introduced Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in Archie's hometown of Riverdale. Now, there's more history being made: Keller will get married in a January 2012 issue.
Cue the outrage!
Fox News reports - in a piece called "Archie Comics Announces Gay Character Will Marry, Will Anyone Object?" (wink!) - a senior fellow at the Family Research Council said this: "It's unfortunate that a comic book series usually seen as depicting innocent, all-American life is now being used to advance the sexual revolution."
According to its website, the FRC "has advanced faith, family and freedom in public policy and public opinion."
Perhaps anticipating similar reactions, Mediaite writes, "So clearly all of our nation's children are going to run out and get gay married now, right? After all, the childhood obesity epidemic only started when Jughead ate his first hamburger."
When Keller's character was announced in April 2010, Archie Comics co-CEO John Goldwater said,
"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books."
What do you think? Is a marriage between two gay characters in a comic book a big deal?
Popular in Entertainment
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Top wedding dress trends: "Gatsby" glamour and more