Chris Harrison back as Miss America host
LAS VEGAS (CBS/ AP) Miss America is sticking with "The Bachelor" host Chris Harrison at least another two years.<Pictures: Miss America 2011
The 40-year-old Texas-born ABC host, who has been front-and-center for the network on several reality competitions, awards shows and last year's Scripps National Spelling Bee, tells The Associated Press he's happy to help the pageant showcase young women who have become top role models from throughout the country.
The pageant's announcement comes as it marks the 90th anniversary of its first competition this week. Back then, it was little more than a bathing revue, held in September to keep tourists on the Atlantic City boardwalk for one more week after summer's end.
Today, the Miss America Organization touts itself as the country's largest provider of scholarships to young women, giving more than $45 million last year.
It was held annually in the fall in Atlantic City until 2004, when it moved to its new time and home.
Next year's pageant is scheduled to air live Jan. 14 from the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
Miss America 2011
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" to series for 2013-2014 season
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"