"Book of Mormon" big winner at Drama Desk Awards
It happened in New York Monday night when the expletive-filled show "The Book of Mormon" won five Drama Desk Awards, including one for best musical.
The Cole Porter romp "Anything Goes" also won five Drama Desk Awards, including one for best musical revival.
The Drama Desk, an organization of theater journalists and critics, also honored "The Normal Heart" and "Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo" with two awards each Monday night.
"The Book of Mormon" also won for best lyrics, music, director and orchestrations.
Bobby Cannavale and Frances McDormand won the play acting awards, while Norbert Leo Butz and Sutton Foster won the musical acting honors.
The awards were presented during a ceremony hosted by Harvey Fierstein at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The ceremony will be aired in June on the cable channel Ovation.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 101 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- Music critics believe in Kanye West's "Yeezus"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- "Bachelorette": Desiree lets two lukewarm lovers go