TV on the Radio: Gerard Smith death comes week after album's release
(CBS)TV on the Radio has canceled some upcoming tour dates because of the death of its bassist Gerard Smith of lung cancer on Wednesday.The band has canceled its next five live shows in Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis and Denver. The band lists its April 29 show in San Francisco as its next live date to promote a new album that came out just last week. (Watch TV on the Radio's "Live on Letterman" below)
Multi-instrumentalist Jaleel Bunton had been filling in on bass for Smith (and playing keyboards) during his absence and Jahphet Landis has been behind the drums as recently as last week.
"Nine Types of Light," TV on the Radio's fifth studio album - and the third to feature Smith - was released last week.
On the band's homepage is the following statement: "We are very sad to announce the death of our beloved friend and bandmate, Gerard Smith, following a courageous fight against lung cancer. Gerard passed away the morning of April 20th, 2011. We will miss him terribly."
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 110 Comments
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers