"Game of Thrones" preview wows (VIDEO)
(CBS) "Lord of the Rings" fans can enjoy a taste of fantasy in HBO's new epic series "Game of Thrones."
Watch the video below.
HBO debuted a 15-minute preview Sunday night and now fans can watch the sneak peak on HBO's website.
Based on the epic novel series, "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R. R. Martin, the three books follow the politics, magic, and wars over the Iron Throne, the highest seat in the capital of King's Landing.
The video features the highly anticipated image of the Wall, a massive block of ice that separates the civilization of "Thrones" from the wild civilizations of the North. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Martin talks about the differences in the books and the TV series. (He's not too worried.)
"Lord of the Rings" fans will recognize protagonist Eddard "Ned" Stark, played by Sean Bean, who played Boromir in the Peter Jackson films. Michelle Fairley plays his wife, Catelyn.
Huffington Post reports that HBO is hoping to attract the fantasy fanatics that poured in from "Lord of the Rings."
The series premieres April 17, 2011, and will run every Sunday for 10 weeks.
Let us know whether the preview matched your expectations in the comments below. Viewers should be warned that the video contains graphic images of violence.
Comics come alive at WonderCon (photos)
Popular in Entertainment
- James Gandolfini dead at 51
- James Gandolfini: 1961-2013 21 Photos
- Watch: Miley Cyrus' trippy "We Can't Stop" music video
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 145 Comments
- James Franco blasts "Spider-Man" reboot
- Paula Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stars pay tribute to James Gandolfini