Did Natalie Portman originally plan to wear Dior to the Oscars?
Many fashion editors predicted the best actress winner to arrive at the ceremony wearing a design by Christian Dior since Portman recently signed an endorsement deal with the French fashion house.
But after the recent controversy surrounding Dior's now former creative director John Galliano and his public anti-Semitic rant, it's possible Portman pulled the plug in order to disassociate herself from the British designer.
Last Friday, Galliano was accused of verbally assaulting a couple with anti-Semitic slurs at a Paris cafe, for which he was detained and questioned by French police. And on Monday, a cellphone video leaked online that featured Galliano saying, "I love Hitler."
Portman condemned Galliano in a statement released Monday, saying: "I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano's comments that surfaced. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way."
Galliano's designs were not entirely neglected from the Oscars red carpet. Best actress nominee Nicole Kidman arrived wearing one of his Dior Haute Couture creations. She told WWD that "it was the first one I put on and I liked it" and declined to comment on Galliano.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- "DWTS": Champion Melissa Rycroft picks a winner
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced
- "The Voice": Top 10 take the stage
- "DWTS": Finalists compete for mirror ball trophy
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- "The Voice" to feature tribute to tornado victims