First Lady Michelle Obama Shows Her Style in Asia
WASHINGTON (CBS) First lady Michelle Obama showed off the clothes and jewelry of some prominent Asian-American designers when she accompanied her husband on a tour of Asia this week.
As usual, Mrs. Obama's fashion choices have become one of the most topical discussion points worldwide.
During their stay in India, she paid tribute to the Indian culture by wearing a plethora of Indian-American designers. Below is a quick recap of a handful of her most recent collaborations:
On Nov. 6, playing hopscotch with children in the Make a Difference program at a university in Mumbai, she kept her attire casual. She wore a top by one of her personal favorites, J.Crew, along with a brooch by renowned designer Erickson Beamon.
Visiting Humayun's Tomb in New Delhi with the president on Nov. 7, Mrs. Obama wore a turquoise ensemble by designer Peter Som.
During a dinner that evening, at the Prime Minister of India's residence, the first lady wore a detailed jacket from Dries Van Noten's Fall 2010 collection and a necklace by prominent Indian designer, Ranjana Khan.
On Nov. 8th, for a visit to the Mahtma Gandi memorial at Rajghat in New Delhi, Mrs. Obama chose another design by Dries Van Noten, paired with a pin by New York designer Alexis Bittar.
For a state dinner that night in New Delhi, as guests of the President of India, Pratibha Patil, and her husband, Devisingh Patil, Mrs. Obama wore an eye-catching silver, floor-length skirt designed by Rachel Roy (a U.S. designer of Indian heritage) with a bronze top.
In Indonesia, Mrs. Obama, who is fond of sleeveless garments, wore a head scarf and followed local custom - clothing that minimizes arm and leg exposure. For both day and evening, she wore pants and long-sleeved tops or jackets.
- For the state dinner in Jakarta, Mrs. Obama wore a print desgn by Derek Lam with a bib necklace by by Ranjana Khan.
- On her head for a tour of a mosque, she wore a printed Prova "Sandinista" silk scarf with teal and yellow fringe and gunmetal glass beads.
Michelle Obama's Asian Style
Popular in Entertainment
- Brad Pitt surprises fans at "World War Z" screening
- Jennifer Aniston strips in "We're the Millers" trailer
- CBS picks up "Bad Teacher" series for 2013-2014 season
- Michelle Obama's prom photo revealed on "Ellen"
- How to tie a bow tie Play Video
- Paul McCartney writes in support of Pussy Riot
- Jewel opens up about portraying June Carter Cash
- "Now You See Me" cast talks magic at N.Y. premiere