Paris Hilton Pleads Guilty in Las Vegas Arrest
LAS VEGAS (CBS/AP) Paris Hilton pleaded guilty Monday to two misdemeanor charges stemming from her arrest for drug possession last month at a Las Vegas hotel-casino.
She will serve a year of probation and avoid a felony charge under the terms of a plea deal worked out with prosecutors after the 29-year-old heiress pleaded guilty Monday to drug possession and obstructing an officer.
Hilton must complete a drug abuse program, pay a $2,000 fine and serve 200 hours of community service.
She faces a year in jail if she violates the probation and is arrested for anything other than a minor traffic violation.
Hilton was arrested Aug. 26 inside the Wynn resort, after police say a small plastic bag containing 0.8 of a gram of cocaine spilled out of her purse.
According to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, which obtained a copy of the plea deal, the obstructing charge was added because Hilton lied to police when she said the Chanel bag wasn't hers. Hilton told police the purse and the cocaine belonged to someone else, though other items in it - $1,300 in cash, credit cards, cigarette rolling papers and a prescription pill to treat asthma - belonged to her. Hilton also said she thought the cocaine was gum, according to her arrest report.
Popular in Entertainment
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Runaway mom begs for kids' forgiveness on Dr. Phil
- CBS takes "Mike & Molly" tornado-themed finale off air
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"