Spice Girls Musical Secures a Writer, "Absolutely Fabulous" Star Jennifer Saunders
NEW YORK (CBS) Talk about girl power. The Spice Girls musical has secured a "fabulous" female writer to round out its creative team.
Jennifer Saunders, the star and creator of the hit BBC sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous," has been hired to write "Viva Forever," the musical based on the Spice Girls songbook, Playbill reports.
Saunders, a five-time BAFTA winner, says she is "thrilled and terrified at the same time."
"It is very exciting to be writing a musical that encompasses the music and energy of the biggest girl-band of all time," Saunders says. "My daughters grew up with The Spice Girls; I had to write the book for them as well as myself."
The musical is the idea of Judy Craymer, the creator and producer of the film and theater mash hit "Mamma Mia!," and will be a "story about friendship, celebrity and fame with the music of the Spice Girls."
Along with Craymer, the musical will be produced by "American Idol" mastermind Simon Fuller and the Spice Girls themselves.
"Viva Forever" is scheduled to debut in the West End in 2012.
Popular in Entertainment
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 46 Photos
- Taylor Swift dominates Billboard Music Awards
- "American Idol" season 12 finale 31 Photos
- "American Idol" winner announced
- Stars at NBA 2013 playoffs 15 Photos
- Inside Mariah Carey's "American Idol" performance
- Friends pay tribute to George Jones at funeral
- "Survivor: Caramoan" crowns a winner