The Life That I Have by Leo Marks - Read the Poem Recited at Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
"The Life That I Have" by Leo Marks was recited during the former first daughter's wedding to Marc Mezvinsky on Saturday at the Astor Courts estate in Rhinebeck, N.Y.
According to Forbes, the poem was written in memory of Marks' girlfriend, Ruth, who died in a plane crash in Canada in 1943. He received the news from her father on Christmas Eve and wrote the poem, addressed to her, that evening.
In his 1998 memoir, "Between Silk and Cyanide," he wrote: "I transmitted a message to her which I had failed to deliver when I'd had the chance."
Read the poem below:
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.
Popular in Entertainment
- Etheridge calls Jolie's mastectomy a "fearful choice" 122 Comments
- Kim Kardashian on baby's arrival: "So crazy!"
- Selma Blair abruptly exits "Anger Management"
- "The Voice" finale recap: Season 4 crowns a winner
- Johnny Depp on "unpleasant" split with Vanessa Paradis
- "The Voice": Top three sing for the win
- Johnny Depp falls off horse on film set Play Video
- Listen: John Mayer's new single "Paper Doll"