Denzel Washington: It's the Play
NEW YORK (CBS) First-time Tony winner Denzel Washington would have you believe it's the play - and not his acting - that garnered him the best actor in a play award for "Fences" at the 2010 Tony Awards in New York.
"Its one of the best plays, Pulitzer Prize winning," he told the media in the press room. "It's a great play."
Washington also described himself as "really happy."Pictures: Tony Awards
Complete Coverage: The Tony Awards
Pictures: Behind the Scenes
"I'm blessed with everything," he said.
His "Fences" co-star Viola Davis, also had kind things to say about the play and her role in it: "Every once in a while a job comes around that speaks to your heart."
It was Washington's first Tony and Davis' second. Davis, who was nominated for an Oscar two years ago for her role in "Doubt" won a Tony in 2001 for her performance in "King Hedley II."
A five-time Oscar nominee, Washington won for best supporting actor in 1990 ("Glory") and for best actor in 2002 ("Training Day").
Popular in Entertainment
- Kate wears sunny yellow for palace garden party
- Watch: Jennifer Aniston has awkward "Friends" reunion
- "Dancing with the Stars" season 16 finale 21 Photos
- Bono and Olivia Wilde join Matt Damon's "toilet strike"
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- "The Voice" pays tribute to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- New "Dancing with the Stars" champion announced