"Sex And The City 2" Rings Up $14.2 Million On Opening Day
NEW YORK (CBS) The "Sex and The City 2" franchise remains in fashion, based on Thursday's box office receipts. Opening day for the sequel wooed an estimated $14.2 million from a predominately female fan base, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The New Line film is expected to top $60 million through Memorial Day on Monday.
Included in the first-day tally of "Sex and The City 2" is $3 million in box office garnered from around 2,000 screens that offered midnight Wednesday performances.
Warners' stragegy of getting a one-day jump on the long weekend was aimed at boosting the film's opening-frame prospects.
In comparison, the wildly successful original took home $26.8 million in its first day, a Friday, during Memorial Day in 2008. It eventually bowed with $62.6 million in a four-day debut; and $415.2 million overall.
Popular in Entertainment
- Streisand slams treatment of women in Israel 217 Comments
- Police looking into Nigella Lawson throat-grab photos
- Kris Jenner: Kim Kardashian is "thrilled" about baby
- Miss USA 2013 24 Photos
- New Miss USA is an accountant
- "True Blood" returns for sixth season
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments
- CBS grabs 21 Daytime Emmys, most of any network