Leahy plans oversight hearing with Holder
CBS News has learned the Democratic Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Patrick Leahy,D-Vt., is planning to schedule an oversight hearing with Attorney General Eric Holder.
Leahy's Republican counterpart on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, has been aggressively investigating the ATF "Fast and Furious" gunwalking scandal since early this year. So far, all hearings on the issue have been held in the House, where Republicans hold a majority.
Sen. Leahy has indicated that he believes, as a former prosecutor, the current congressional investigation must not interfere with the ongoing criminal investigations and prosecutions related to firearms trafficking in "Fast and Furious."
Leahy says, "I share the President's confidence in Attorney General Holder. He has continued to demonstrate his strong commitment to tough law enforcement, transparency and integrity."
Sen. Leahy is working to schedule an oversight hearing with Holder before the end of the year.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- Jersey Shore heads into summer with high hopes
- 5/24: I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle; "On the Road": Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- 5/25: Cold start to summer season for Sandy-impacted shore towns; Therapy dogs help victims in distress
- Okla. residents' dilemma after tornadoes: Stay or move?
- I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- "Crunch time" for Jersey Shore businesses after Sandy
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- Therapy dogs help victims in distress
- More arrests in connection with London terror attack
- Tornado victims question whether to stay and rebuild or leave
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- Torrential rains cause record flooding in south Texas
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"