Bloody pig's foot sent to Rep. Peter King
Authorities intercepted a parcel this morning addressed to Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) containing a bloody pig's foot and a derogatory message, a source has confirmed to CBS News.
The parcel was intercepted at the Congressional mail facility in Landover, Maryland, where mail sent to lawmakers is screened for security risks.
The U.S. Capitol Police and U.S. Postal Service confirmed that there is an open investigation, though would not confirm the details of what was contained in the parcel because the investigation is ongoing. King's office, which did not see the parcel, referred all questions to the Capitol Police.
According to the Postal Service, a hazardous materials response team tested the parcel and found it to be non-hazardous.
Last month, King held hearings on radicalization in the Muslim-American community that critics suggested unfairly targeted Muslims, though it's not known whether this incident is related to those hearings. Muslims are forbidden from eating pork products.
Ibrahim Hooper, National Communications Director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations - a target of King's hearings - said he found the situation confusing. He said his organization regularly receives pig-themed hate messages, including letters smeared with bacon.
"My guess is it was an anti-Muslim bigot, and bigots not being brain surgeons they probably got their signals crossed," he said.
UPDATE: A source on Capitol Hill told NBC News that the note "contained anti-Semitic ramblings" and referenced the radicalization hearings. King is Roman Catholic.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- 5/24: I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle; "On the Road": Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- Teacher injured in Okla. tornado takes first steps
- Jersey Shore shop owners reopen for Memorial Day
- Survivor of KKK Baptist Church bombing: "I had to forgive"
- I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Survivor of Bangladesh factory collapse speaks out
- On the road: Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- 5/23: Obama: The war on terror, "like all wars, must end"; baby born as tornado struck
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Tornado victim reunites with dog during interview
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Oklahoma miracle baby -- born amidst tornado chaos