Ralph Esmerian, "Jeweler to the Stars" Arrested
Updated 3:15pm, 11.22.10 with the criminal complaint.
Ralph Esmerian, "The Jewler to the Stars" was arrested this morning by U.S. Postal Inspectors in New York City.He is being charged with bankruptcy fraud steaming from over $210 million loans. The U.S. Attorney for the Southern district of New York filed charges that Esmerian embezzled and double pledged over $40 million.
Mr. Esmerian borrowed over $150 million from Merrill Lynch Mortgage Capital to finance his business and to buy famed jewelry store Fred Leighton of New York.
On April 15, 2008, Mr. Esmerian filed a voluntary bankruptcy petition for Fred Leighton. According to sources Esmerian then embezzled property of Fred Leighton and sold items keeping the proceeds for himself. During the Fred Leighton bankruptcy, it is alleged that Esmerian lied to the Bankruptcy Court.
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- 5/19: Surviving the Midwest twisters; How a $4.8 million winning ticket saved a family
- Lotto winners with tragic story thank "guardian angel"
- Thunderstorm supercells threaten Midwest
- 16-year-old finds a new way to detect cancer
- WH Benghazi emails have different quotes than earlier reported
- 5/18: NTSB investigates train collision; teen tackles cancer diagnosis
- Conn. train collision a major headache for commuters
- 50th anniversary of Medgar Evers' broadcasting milestone
- Long Island college student accidentally killed by police
- Young Innovators: Teen tackles cancer diagnosis
- The power of a uniquely American song
- Lucky lotto: How a $4.8 million winning ticket saved a family
- Small Fla. town waits for Powerball winner to come forward
- More dangerous weather ahead for Midwest
- 8-year-old fights to get WWII vet recognition he deserves