Terry Jones, The Man Behind "Burn A Quran Day"
According to the deposition, Jones and his wife learned much of what they know about Sharia Law - the sacred law of the Muslim religion - by watching videos on YouTube.
"Do you know where Sharia law came from?" Jones is asked.
"Not really, no," he replies, "I think there's experts that say it came from the old Mosaic law. But no."
Attorneys also asked Jones how many Muslims he knows personally.
"I don't think I know any personally," he says, "I haven't interviewed any." Jones also says he has not attended any interfaith discussions and that he believes that such discussions are part of "our problem."Learn More About Pastor Terry Jones, from CBS News Investigates
When asked if his church, Dove World Outreach Center has a mission statement, Jones said that it did but when questioned further, Jones told the attorney he did not know what the mission statement was.
Jones refers to himself as "Doctor," and says in the deposition he was awarded an honorary doctorate of theology degree from the California Graduate School of Theology in Rosemead, CA in 1983. The school, which is unaccredited, was unable to immediately confirm whether or not it awarded Jones the degree.
In his deposition, Jones acknowledged that his congregation has decreased in recent years, telling attorneys that he currently has a congregation of about 50 people - whereas he had 100 people when his congregation was at its largest.
"I think mainly just because the things we're involved in are just really way too hot for your normal Christian and your normal person."
More Quran Burning Coverage
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- 5/24: I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle; "On the Road": Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Survivor of KKK Baptist Church bombing: "I had to forgive"
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- On the road: Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- Jersey Shore shop owners reopen for Memorial Day
- Survivor of Bangladesh factory collapse speaks out
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Second London terror suspect identified
- Resentment over wars may have motivated London terror attack
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- Tornado victim reunites with dog during interview