Haiti Earthquake Aid: Nearly $15 Billion in Donations
Three months after the earthquake in Haiti, many people still in need of basic emergency help.
CBS News set out to answer what seemed like a simple question: how much has been spent on and promised to Haiti?
The answer didn't exist in one place.
Total Donations for Haiti Earthquake Relief:
- $4 billion: NGO's and charities. That includes $66 million raised by record-breaking Hope for Haiti Now telethon.
- $1.019 billion: U.S. tax dollars through USAID (as of April 9)
- $1.15 billion: U.S. tax dollars (for future redevelopment)
- $8.75 billion (for redevelopment from non-U.S. countries and world bodies)
TOTAL: $14.9+ billion
(Not included is debt forgiveness which the US and other countries are offering Haiti)
Haiti's government has estimated losses from the quake to be approximately $8 billion. Economists and world bodies have estimated the cost of rebuilding at between $8 billion and $14 billion.
The $14.9 billion donated so far works out to nearly $10,000 for each of the estimated 1.5 million Haitians left homeless and displaced by the disaster. On average, workers there earn just $4 a day. The funding includes emergency aid as well as pledges to help rebuild Haiti to a state better than it was before: new hospitals, clinics, school systems, government buildings, better sanitation and a more modern infrastructure.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Parents ask why Okla. schools don't have tornado shelters
- 5/22: Residents return to tornado-ravaged neighborhoods; Undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Oklahoma miracle baby -- born amidst tornado chaos
- Oklahoma family narrowly escaped death during tornado
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Residents return to tornado-ravaged neighborhoods
- 94-year-old opened storm shelter to neighbors as tornado approached
- Survivors pulled from Okla. school hit by tornado
- Oklahoma family tells amazing story of survival
- Teacher injured in Okla. tornado takes first steps
- Injured Okla. teacher: "I wish I could have done more"
- 5/23: Obama: The war on terror, "like all wars, must end"; baby born as tornado struck