More Obama dinner guests: Bill, Hillary Clinton
President Obama's recent dinner with Republican senators may have made the headlines, but the 12 GOP lawmakers were not the president's only illustrious dinner guests in March.
On March 1, Mr. Obama dined with former President Bill Clinton and his wife, recently departed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, CBS News Chief White House correspondent Major Garrett has confirmed. The dinner was first reported by Politico.
The Clintons, veterans of eight years in the White House marked by frequent adversarial encounters with Republicans, surely had some relevant advice for the Mr. Obama, whose nascent second term has already been marked by several brutal legislative battles with the congressional GOP.
The relationship between the Clintons and Mr. Obama has improved markedly since the divisive primary fight between Hillary Clinton and then-Sen. Obama in 2008. Despite the acrimony, she joined the president's cabinet and logged a record number of miles on behalf of his foreign policy agenda as Secretary of State.
Former President Clinton, for his part, came full circle from the hostility of the 2008 primary to deliver a passionate speech on behalf of Mr. Obama at his 2012 convention.
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 171 Comments
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet
- Obama: Racism is no excuse for not excelling Play Video
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 110 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 363 Comments
- Obama to discuss legality of drone program