More Obama dinner guests: Bill, Hillary Clinton
President Obama's recent dinner with Republican senators may have made the headlines, but the 12 GOP lawmakers were not the president's only illustrious dinner guests in March.
On March 1, Mr. Obama dined with former President Bill Clinton and his wife, recently departed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, CBS News Chief White House correspondent Major Garrett has confirmed. The dinner was first reported by Politico.
The Clintons, veterans of eight years in the White House marked by frequent adversarial encounters with Republicans, surely had some relevant advice for the Mr. Obama, whose nascent second term has already been marked by several brutal legislative battles with the congressional GOP.
The relationship between the Clintons and Mr. Obama has improved markedly since the divisive primary fight between Hillary Clinton and then-Sen. Obama in 2008. Despite the acrimony, she joined the president's cabinet and logged a record number of miles on behalf of his foreign policy agenda as Secretary of State.
Former President Clinton, for his part, came full circle from the hostility of the 2008 primary to deliver a passionate speech on behalf of Mr. Obama at his 2012 convention.
Popular in Politics
- FBI: Surveillance info helped reveal subway, stock exchange bombings 169 Comments
- Jesse Jackson Jr. asks to serve jail sentence before wife
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 245 Comments
- Obama: "Very easy to slip-slide" into deeper Syrian involvement
- IRS scandal: Is partisanship overshadowing facts? 163 Comments
- Snowden: U.S. gov't destroyed my chance for fair trial 299 Comments
- Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voting law 912 Comments
- Former critic McCaskill pushes for Hillary Clinton 2016 bid