Obamas head out on separate vacations
President Obama is headed to the West Palm Beach, Fla., area for the long holiday weekend, while First Lady Michelle Obama and their daughters, Malia and Sasha, are headed out west for a ski weekend.
"The president is looking forward to a couple rounds of golf this weekend," White House deputy press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters, explaining his separate trip to Florida.
The first lady and Malia and Sasha, meanwhile, have made a tradition of going on a ski trip out West around this time of year with family friends.
Though Mr. and Mrs. Obama won't spend the weekend together, they did get to celebrate Valentine's Day on Thursday by going out to dinner at MiniBar, an upscale, trendy restaurant in downtown Washington, D.C.
Meanwhile, the Obamas aren't the only Washington lawmakers leaving town this weekend. Congress is skipping out for a week-long recess, even though they have just two weeks left to address the $1.2 trillion "sequester" budget cuts that are set to kick in next month.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 156 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 261 Comments
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 531 Comments
- GOP Sen. Murkowski backs same-sex marriage
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows 80 Comments