Obamas head out on separate vacations
President Obama is headed to the West Palm Beach, Fla., area for the long holiday weekend, while First Lady Michelle Obama and their daughters, Malia and Sasha, are headed out west for a ski weekend.
"The president is looking forward to a couple rounds of golf this weekend," White House deputy press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters, explaining his separate trip to Florida.
The first lady and Malia and Sasha, meanwhile, have made a tradition of going on a ski trip out West around this time of year with family friends.
Though Mr. and Mrs. Obama won't spend the weekend together, they did get to celebrate Valentine's Day on Thursday by going out to dinner at MiniBar, an upscale, trendy restaurant in downtown Washington, D.C.
Meanwhile, the Obamas aren't the only Washington lawmakers leaving town this weekend. Congress is skipping out for a week-long recess, even though they have just two weeks left to address the $1.2 trillion "sequester" budget cuts that are set to kick in next month.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 126 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 258 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 114 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 130 Comments
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones