Excerpts of President Obama's State of the Union address
President Obama delivers his State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress on Capitol Hill January 24, 2012 in Washington / Saul Loeb-Pool/Getty Images
Tonight, President Obama will deliver his fourth annual State of the Union address, during which he will outline his national goals and policy objectives for the coming year.
- State of the Union: "Act two" of Obama's 2nd term
- The Republican response: Boon or bane?
- State of the Union hasn't always been a grand speech
- Complete coverage: The State of the Union 2013
Here are some excerpts from his prepared remarks:
"It is our generation's task, then, to reignite the true engine of America's economic growth - a rising, thriving middle class.
It is our unfinished task to restore the basic bargain that built this country - the idea that if you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or who you love.
It is our unfinished task to make sure that this government works on behalf of the many, and not just the few; that it encourages free enterprise, rewards individual initiative, and opens the doors of opportunity to every child across this great nation of ours."
"A growing economy that creates good, middle-class jobs - that must be the North Star that guides our efforts. Every day, we should ask ourselves three questions as a nation: How do we attract more jobs to our shores? How do we equip our people with the skills needed to do those jobs? And how do we make sure that hard work leads to a decent living?"
"Tonight, I'll lay out additional proposals that are fully paid for and fully consistent with the budget framework both parties agreed to just 18 months ago. Let me repeat - nothing I'm proposing tonight should increase our deficit by a single dime. It's not a bigger government we need, but a smarter government that sets priorities and invests in broad-based growth."
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 434 Comments
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 126 Comments
- Senate committee approves immigration bill
- Va. GOP candidate: Planned Parenthood "more lethal" for blacks than KKK 1200 Comments
- Poll: Most think IRS targeting was deliberate 172 Comments
- Obama: "Full focus" is on recovery from Oklahoma tornado 85 Comments
- U.S. IDs several men possibly responsible for Benghazi attack
- Former IRS chief: "I can't say" what led to IRS targeting