Michelle Obama to attend funeral of Chicago teen who performed at inauguration
First Lady Michelle Obama will head to Chicago on Saturday to attend the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, the teenage girl who was slain last month just days after performing in the presidential inauguration activities, a White House official told CBS News.
Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will also attend, according to the official.
Pendleton, who was 15, was shot to death at a Chicago park on January 29. She was a majorette with the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events eight days earlier.
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 276 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 252 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 345 Comments
- FBI seeks anonymous source behind Menendez allegations
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 216 Comments
- Immigration deal reached in House
- House GOP to vote on Obamacare repeal - Vol. 37 928 Comments
- First lady: "Reject the slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white"