Michelle Obama to attend funeral of Chicago teen who performed at inauguration
First Lady Michelle Obama will head to Chicago on Saturday to attend the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, the teenage girl who was slain last month just days after performing in the presidential inauguration activities, a White House official told CBS News.
Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will also attend, according to the official.
Pendleton, who was 15, was shot to death at a Chicago park on January 29. She was a majorette with the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events eight days earlier.
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- The Ted Cruz conundrum
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- As summer approaches, sequestration threatens holiday fun
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 198 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Senator: Oklahoma "hit hard, but we're not knocked out"