Michelle Obama to attend funeral of Chicago teen who performed at inauguration
First Lady Michelle Obama will head to Chicago on Saturday to attend the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, the teenage girl who was slain last month just days after performing in the presidential inauguration activities, a White House official told CBS News.
Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will also attend, according to the official.
Pendleton, who was 15, was shot to death at a Chicago park on January 29. She was a majorette with the King College Prep High School band, which performed at several inaugural events eight days earlier.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 106 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 106 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror?
- Obama announces steps toward Guantanamo closure
- Obama: The war on terror, "like all wars, must end" Play Video