McCaskill wins Missouri Senate over Akin
CBS News projects that Claire McCaskill, the Democratic Senator from Missouri, will be re-elected to the Senate.
- CBS News Election Center
- Obama projected to win three battleground states
- As polls close, congressional election results trickle in
- Projection: GOP to retain House majority
Todd Akin, McCaskill's embattled Republican challenger, saw his prospects of victory drop significantly in August after suggesting that pregnancies don't result from "legitimate" rape.
Akin's comments earned him almost universal rebukes, including from the Republican establishment, and he struggled to regain his footing in a race that had previously been seen as a likely bet for Republicans.
McCaskill was elected by a razor-thin margin in 2006, and Missouri has become increasingly conservative since.
Popular in Politics
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 413 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 438 Comments
- Anthony Weiner comeback try begins: Running for NYC mayor 116 Comments
- Major immigration overhaul passes first big test
- Christie: Keep politics out of Oklahoma disaster relief
- Obama to view Oklahoma tornado damage Sunday
- Will tornado relief funding escape politics?
- Top IRS official to invoke 5th Amendment at congressional testimony 218 Comments