McCaskill wins Missouri Senate over Akin
CBS News projects that Claire McCaskill, the Democratic Senator from Missouri, will be re-elected to the Senate.
- CBS News Election Center
- Obama projected to win three battleground states
- As polls close, congressional election results trickle in
- Projection: GOP to retain House majority
Todd Akin, McCaskill's embattled Republican challenger, saw his prospects of victory drop significantly in August after suggesting that pregnancies don't result from "legitimate" rape.
Akin's comments earned him almost universal rebukes, including from the Republican establishment, and he struggled to regain his footing in a race that had previously been seen as a likely bet for Republicans.
McCaskill was elected by a razor-thin margin in 2006, and Missouri has become increasingly conservative since.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 119 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 257 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 86 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 130 Comments
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video