McCaskill wins Missouri Senate over Akin
CBS News projects that Claire McCaskill, the Democratic Senator from Missouri, will be re-elected to the Senate.
- CBS News Election Center
- Obama projected to win three battleground states
- As polls close, congressional election results trickle in
- Projection: GOP to retain House majority
Todd Akin, McCaskill's embattled Republican challenger, saw his prospects of victory drop significantly in August after suggesting that pregnancies don't result from "legitimate" rape.
Akin's comments earned him almost universal rebukes, including from the Republican establishment, and he struggled to regain his footing in a race that had previously been seen as a likely bet for Republicans.
McCaskill was elected by a razor-thin margin in 2006, and Missouri has become increasingly conservative since.
Popular in Politics
- Michelle Obama decries "slander" that educated blacks are "trying to act white" Play Video
- Both parties vow to "get to the bottom" of IRS scandal
- Benghazi-disciplined diplomat a prolific poet
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 239 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 188 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice"
- Republicans continue beating Benghazi drum 160 Comments
- Obama: Racism is no excuse for not excelling Play Video