Warren wins Mass. Senate seat
Democrat Elizabeth Warren will beat incumbent Republican Scott Brown in the closely-watched Massachusetts Senate race, CBS News projects.
The race has been among the most costly and contentious of the cycle.
Warren, a liberal favorite and consumer advocate, was tapped to challenge Brown after being passed over to head the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. But Brown, who who was elected with Tea Party support following the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy, was a popular figure in the state, and the two were locked in a dead heat for months.
Following a handful of debates, however, Warren in the last months of the campaign appeared to open up a lead over her opponent.
Popular in Politics
- Romney condemns "breach of trust" in Washington 238 Comments
- Adviser on White House scandals: "Partisan fishing expeditions" won't distract Obama 95 Comments
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 361 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 422 Comments
- Obama: Racism is no excuse for not excelling Play Video
- IRS targeting overlooked biggest soft money groups 71 Comments
- For GOP, scandals could be an electoral plus - or minus 350 Comments
- Republicans use IRS scandal to tar Obamacare