GOP Rep. calls evolution lie from "pit of hell"
ATHENS, Ga. Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell."
The Republican lawmaker made those comments during a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell.
Broun, a medical doctor, is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats.
During the remarks, Broun said that he believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible are literally true.
Broun spokeswoman Meredith Griffanti told the Athens Banner-Herald that Broun was recorded speaking to a church group about his religious beliefs.
He sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 114 Comments
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities
- Smooth, on-time Obamacare rollout no sure thing: GAO
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story" 261 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 449 Comments
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Senators: U.S. must take "more decisive" military action in Syria
- Obama renews push for a nuclear disarmament legacy