Bob Kerrey touts Steve Martin's endorsement
Former Sen. Bob Kerrey, D-Neb., is not getting much traction in his bid to reclaim his old seat in the Senate -- a mid-September poll from the Omaha World-Herald showed him trailing his Republican opponent, Nebraska State legislator Deb Fischer, by 16 points, 56-40.
But if the deep polling deficit is depressing Kerrey, it hasn't shown -- his campaign seem to be embracing the creative freedom of the underdog.
In one of the most bizarre endorsements of the cycle, Kerrey's campaign on Wednesday issued a press release surreally titled "Steve Martin Masters Home Crafts, Endorses Bob Kerrey."
The accompanying video, shot like a home movie, shows the actor sitting at a table instructing viewers on a variety of home "crafts" as sheets of paper praising Kerrey intrude onscreen.
"My friend, Bob Kerrey, is running for the U.S. Senate in Nebraska," one page reads. "He cares about the people of Nebraska....he considers both sides of every issue to determine what is best...and, he has already served Nebraska successfully as your governor and senator for 16 years."
At one point, the absurdist Martin hammers a piece of gum on the table just before the paper onscreen assures viewers that Kerrey "is sane. And his ideas are workable."
The video concludes by urging viewers to "Please consider Bob Kerrey as a wise and thoughtful choice as your senator from Nebraska. Also please consider me as your home crafts authority."
Popular in Politics
- FBI: Surveillance info helped reveal subway, stock exchange bombings 203 Comments
- Jesse Jackson Jr. asks to serve jail sentence before wife
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Obama: "Very easy to slip-slide" into deeper Syrian involvement 91 Comments
- IRS scandal: Is partisanship overshadowing facts? 172 Comments
- Snowden: U.S. gov't destroyed my chance for fair trial
- Obama on NSA programs: Americans "not getting the complete story"
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions