Former NY Gov. David Paterson and wife split
New York State Lt. Gov. David Paterson takes his oath of office in this Jan. 1, 2007 file photo taken at the New York State Capitol in Albany, N.Y., as his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson watches. / AP Photo/Jim McKnight, File
NEW YORK Former New York Gov. David Paterson and his wife have separated.
The split between the Democratic politician and wife Michelle Paige Paterson was first reported Saturday by the New York Post. Paterson representative Sean Darcy says the couple's decision was "mutual and amicable."
The couple's relationship was in the public eye from the day he took office in 2008. He immediately admitted one affair in an interview and the next day appeared at a press conference with his wife, where both admitted having affairs at a time when their marriage was heading toward divorce.
The revelations followed on the heels of the sex scandal that felled Paterson's predecessor. Democratic Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigned from office after he was accused of spending thousands of dollars on high-end prostitutes.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 90 Comments
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism 94 Comments
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 100 Comments
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Rep. Jo Bonner to resign from House for university job