Wealthy GOP donor Sheldon Adelson sues Jewish political group for libel
(AP) NEW YORK - Billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson has filed a defamation lawsuit in New York against the National Jewish Democratic Council and top officials, saying they made libelous statements regarding his political contributions.
The lawsuit filed Wednesday in federal court in Manhattan seeks $60 million in damages. Adelson is chairman and chief executive officer of Las Vegas Sands Corp. and donates to Republican campaigns.
The lawsuit alleges the Washington-based Council said Adelson personally approved of prostitution in resorts owned by Sands China Limited, a subsidiary of Las Vegas Sands. The suit accuses the Council of "assassinating" Adelson's character.
The Council said its reports referenced mainstream press accounts and were "wholly appropriate."
The press accounts described claims by a fired former Sands China executive. Adelson has denied the claims.Sheldon Adelson aligns with Koch brothers
Super PACs: $125 million spent -- and counting
Top 10 super PAC donors through June
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- Obama prom pictures surface 130 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 169 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 286 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 131 Comments