Wealthy GOP donor Sheldon Adelson sues Jewish political group for libel
(AP) NEW YORK - Billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson has filed a defamation lawsuit in New York against the National Jewish Democratic Council and top officials, saying they made libelous statements regarding his political contributions.
The lawsuit filed Wednesday in federal court in Manhattan seeks $60 million in damages. Adelson is chairman and chief executive officer of Las Vegas Sands Corp. and donates to Republican campaigns.
The lawsuit alleges the Washington-based Council said Adelson personally approved of prostitution in resorts owned by Sands China Limited, a subsidiary of Las Vegas Sands. The suit accuses the Council of "assassinating" Adelson's character.
The Council said its reports referenced mainstream press accounts and were "wholly appropriate."
The press accounts described claims by a fired former Sands China executive. Adelson has denied the claims.Sheldon Adelson aligns with Koch brothers
Super PACs: $125 million spent -- and counting
Top 10 super PAC donors through June
Popular in Politics
- Officials on Benghazi: "We made mistakes, but without malice" 277 Comments
- Where is the Benghazi cover-up Republicans promised? 346 Comments
- Ousted IRS chief: "I did not mislead" the American people 253 Comments
- FBI seeks anonymous source behind Menendez allegations
- Why Obama should worry that current scandals might impact 2016 216 Comments
- House GOP to vote on Obamacare repeal - Vol. 37 928 Comments
- Immigration deal reached in House
- Obama: I didn't know about IRS report 608 Comments