Judge rejects anti-Obama Marine's appeal
(AP) SAN DIEGO - A discharge hearing for a Camp Pendleton Marine who publicly criticized President Obama will go forward.
City News Service reports a San Diego federal judge on Wednesday rejected 26-year-old Sgt. Gary Stein's request for an emergency temporary restraining order to stop Thursday's planned hearing.
Stein faces an "other than honorable" discharge for starting a Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party to encourage fellow service members to exercise their free speech rights.
The military has had a policy since the Civil War limiting the free speech of service members, including criticizing the commander in chief.
Stein has been a Marine Corps member for nine years.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface 122 Comments
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 279 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 101 Comments
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave 130 Comments
- Rand Paul uses 2016 bully pulpit to push Obama on drones
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video