AP: Joseph Kennedy III to seek Barney Frank seat
BOSTON - Joseph Kennedy III is formally jumping into the race for the congressional seat now held by retiring U.S. Rep. Barney Frank.
A member of the campaign who requested anonymity so as not to preempt the candidate's announcement tells The Associated Press that the Democrat is expected to make the announcement on Thursday.
Kennedy recently moved from Cambridge to Brookline, which is part of the state's newly redrawn 4th Congressional District.
Kennedy is the son of former U.S. Rep. Joseph Kennedy II and a grandson of the late Robert F. Kennedy. The family has deep ties to the Boston suburb.
Kennedy announced last month he was forming an exploratory committee to look at a possible run for the seat.
At least two other Democrats and two Republicans are considering runs.
Popular in Politics
- FBI director acknowledges domestic drone use 155 Comments
- Next up for Obama: Major effort on climate change
- The 4 remaining Supreme Court cases to watch
- Michelle Obama and daughters tour Berlin Play Video
- Immigration reform would cut deficit, analysis shows
- Obama and Berlin: Faded echoes meet new realities 77 Comments
- House Republicans pass 20-week limit on abortions 599 Comments
- Senate deal seen near on key aspect of immigration reform