"The Bible" producers dismiss Obama-Satan connection
Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni as Satan in the TV mini-series "The Bible." / History Channel
The producers of History Channel's "The Bible" miniseries say Internet chatter that their Satan character resembles President Barack Obama is "utter nonsense."
Mark Burnett ("Survivor," "The Voice") and his wife, actress Roma Downey, said Monday the Moroccan actor who played Satan, Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, has played Satanic characters in other Biblical programs long before Mr. Obama was elected president.
- Pictures: The Bible on screen
- "The Bible": Does Satan look like Obama in History Channel miniseries?
- "The Bible": How a hit TV miniseries was born
The connection got widespread attention after talk show host Glenn Beck last week tweeted: "Does Satan look EXACTLY like Obama? Yes!"
Making TV's "The Bible"
History said in a statement that the network has "the highest respect" for Obama, and that "it's unfortunate that anyone made this false connection."
"Both Mark and I have nothing but respect and love our president, who is a fellow Christian," said Downey, the "Touched By an Angel" actress who is married to Burnett. "False statements such as these are just designed as a foolish distraction to try and discredit the beauty of the story of the Bible."
Beck has actually been a big supporter of "The Bible." The same tweet that pointed out the actor's resemblance to Obama urged his followers: "Don't miss it."
On Monday, Beck tweeted: "Media -- relax."
He said the observation was "funny, nothing more" and that the series "is 1 of my fav shows. Keep watching."
The five-part miniseries has been a big hit for History, reaching more than 13 million viewers for its first episode. The 10-hour miniseries concludes on Easter Sunday.
Popular in Entertainment
- Amanda Bynes arrested on bong-related counts
- Amanda Bynes 20 Photos
- Amanda Bynes in court for possession of marijuana Play Video
- Amanda Bynes charged in NYC in accused bong toss
- Snooki: N.J. Gov. Christie "just doesn't like us"
- Ray Manzarek remembered by Doors bandmates, rockers
- "Arrested Development" returns: Will you binge-watch?
- Something old, new, borrowed and...zombie 9 Photos