Cate Blanchett to star in HBO's "Cancer Vixen"
Cate Blanchett poses for photographers at the European premiere of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" on Dec. 12, 2012, in London. / Getty
Cate Blanchett is taking on the c-word -- cancer, that is.
The Oscar-winning actress has been tapped to star in an upcoming HBO feature film adaptation of Marisa Acocella Marchetto's best-selling memoir, "Cancer Vixen: A True Story," Deadline reports.
First published in 2006, Marchetto's graphic memoir took a lighthearted spin to the author's own real-life experiences as a recently-engaged cartoonist who lived a glamorous Manhattan lifestyle until she discovered she had breast cancer. "Cancer Vixen" is told through Marchetto's comic strip-style illustrations, with plenty of imagery to inspire filmmakers behind the HBO film adaptation, still in its earliest stages of development.
In addition to starring as Marchetto, Blanchett will also serve as an executive producer along with Celine Rattray and Sting's wife Trudie Styler. The filmmakers are still in the process of finding a writer for the adaptation.
No word yet on an expected air date.
Since the release of her memoir, Marchetto has set up a "Cancer Vixen FUNd" to help provide free mammograms and breast screenings to under-and-uninsured women.
Popular in Entertainment
- Ray Manzarek, founding member of The Doors, dies
- Justin Bieber booed at 2013 Billboard Music Awards 110 Comments
- Cannes Film Festival 2013 50 Photos
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 39 Photos
- Watch: Miguel jumps, lands on fan at Billboard Awards
- Green, Aguilera will be back on "The Voice"
- First look: Jennifer Lawrence in "X-Men: Days of Future Past"
- "Mad Men" recap: 10 best moments